Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Music As Therapy

I still don't wanna talk. I'm going to anyway. I have this tendency to get lost in my head, and it never helps, only makes the situation worse.

Over time, I learned a trick that helps me days like today. My first instinct is always to pick music appropriate to what I'm feeling, I'm great at that. But the problem with that is, it ends up digging you further into your mood than you should go. The real challenge comes with listening to the exact opposite of what you're feeling. It seems obvious, right? You're in a bad mood, put on some happy music, and you'll snap out of it. All those sad those are great and sometimes completely on point, and wallowing can help -- to a degree.

When you realize that wallowing is no longer facilitating your recovery from what-the-fuck-ever your issue is, you have to switch things up. Try a new method. Create a bubble to exist in for a moment. I suggest having a playlist on standby for this occasion. Songs that you have loved for years, ideally with only good memories attached, so when you need the attitude adjustment it's there waiting for you. Keep the beats per minute up. Avoid songs you have associated with specific instances of anything less than perfect. If you are in a pinch, get the Moodagent app. It'll create a playlist from your music collection based on sliding mood scales you can adjust until you find the magic combination that strikes you as soothing.

Hopefully it helps. Sometimes it won't, because life is messy and people tend to suck. But it's better than replaying sad songs all day and feeling sorry for yourself.

0 comments:

Post a Comment